Mexican Sugar CookiesMakes 2 dozen
- 2 1/2 cups shortening
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon anise seed, ground
- 2 eggs
- 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 tablespoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 3 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 1 cup white sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Beat shortening until light and fluffy. Add one cup sugar, and anise seed. Mix until creamy. Add eggs and mix well. Add flour, baking power, cream of tartar, salt and orange juice. Mix well.
- Knead dough until smooth. On lightly floured surface, roll to 1/2 inch thick. Cut using cookie cutter into different shapes. Bake until light brown, 5 - 8 minutes. Roll cookies in mixture of 1 cup sugar and 3 tablespoons of cinnamon while still warm.
Buckeye BallsMakes 12 dozen
- 4 (16 ounce) jars peanut butter
- 3 1/2 (16 ounce) packages confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 3 (12 ounce) packages semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- Blend together the peanut butter, sugar and melted butter. Allow to chill in refrigerator.
- Roll into 1 inch round balls and return to refrigerator.
- In a double boiler over medium heat, melt the chocolate and shortening. Whisk together until smooth.
- With a toothpick inserted in the balls, dip them into the chocolate so they look like buckeyes. Place on waxed paper and allow to set in refrigerator.
Spumoni Chocolate Chip Cookies
Makes 4 dozen
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 (3.4 ounce) package instant pistachio pudding mix
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 (16 ounce) package semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup chopped maraschino cherries
- 1/4 cup chopped pistachios
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Sift together the flour and baking soda; set aside.
- Cream together the butter, white sugar, and brown sugar in a large bowl until smooth. Stir in the instant pudding mix until well combined. Beat in the eggs one at a time, then stir in the vanilla. Blend in the flour mixture. Fold in the chocolate chips, cherries, and pistachios. Drop by large spoonfuls onto ungreased baking pans.
- Bake in the preheated oven until light brown, about 10 minutes.
Cherry Hazelnut BiscottiMakes 30 Servings
* 4 cups all-purpose flour
* 1 cup chopped hazelnuts, toasted
* 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
* 2 teaspoons baking powder
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 4 eggs
* 1 1/3 cups sugar
* 1/2 cup vegetable oil
* 1 tablespoon lemon juice
* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
* 1 cup dried cranberries or cherries
1. In a large bowl, combine the first five ingredients. In another bowl, whisk the eggs; add the sugar, oil, lemon juice and vanilla. Add to the dry ingredients just until combined. Stir in cherries. Divide dough in half.
2. On parchment-lined baking sheet, shape each portion into 12-in x 3-in. rectangle. Bake at 325 degrees F for 30-35 minutes or until lightly browned. Carefully remove to wire racks; cool for 5 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 300 degrees F.
3. Transfer biscotti to a cutting board; cut diagonally with a serrated knife into 3/4-in. slices. Place cut side down on parchment-lined baking sheets. Bake for 25-35 minutes or until firm, turning after 15 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool. Store in an airtight container.
Makes 1 Dozen
* 4 (1 ounce) squares semisweet chocolate
* 1/3 cup sour cream
* 1 cup chocolate cookie crumbs
* 1/3 cup chocolate cookie crumbs
* 1/3 cup confectioners' sugar
* 24 silver dragees decorating candy
* 1/4 cup sliced almonds
* 12 (2 inch) pieces long red vine licorice
1. Melt the chocolate, and combine with sour cream. Stir in 1 cup chocolate cookie crumbs. Cover and refrigerate until firm.
2. Roll by level tablespoonfuls into balls. Mold to a slight point at one end (the nose).
3. Roll dough in confectioners sugar (for white mice), and in chocolate cookie crumbs (for dark mice). On each mouse, place dragees in appropriate spot for eyes, almond slices for ears, and a licorice string for the tail.
4. Refrigerate for at least two hours, until firm.
Easy Decadent Truffles
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 3 cups semisweet chocolate chips, melted
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese until smooth. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar until well blended. Stir in melted chocolate and vanilla until no streaks remain. Refrigerate for about 1 hour. Shape into 1 inch balls.
- Roll truffles in ground walnuts (or any ground nuts), cocoa, coconut, confectioners' sugar, candy sprinkles, etc.
- To flavor truffles with liqueurs or other flavorings, omit vanilla. Divide truffle mixture into thirds. Add 1 tablespoon liqueur (almond, coffee, orange) to each mixture; mix well.
So, what are you guys making this season?